Friday, June 11, 2010

I got my Recaro ProBooster today!!!



Yea!!  I am so happy!  I have been salivating over this seat since Recaro had a press release about it several months ago.  Offically, it hit stores June 1, but people have been preordering for a while.  I kept debating since I don't need to seat (trust me I don't and can't even justify it).  Well, I ordered.  I got a good price and I ordered.  I got the Blue Opal.  It arrived this afternoon.

Monkey is the one who found the box on the porch.  As soon as he saw it he asked if it was his new booster.  I said it was one for us to play with and he was slightly disappointed.  Neither of us could wait to open the box (for different reasons though, he actually wanted the box).  I pulled it out and was in love!  It is a very well designed seat with lots of side impact protection (SIP).  It also looked very cushy and plush. 

So, out to the car we went.  It had to go behind the passenger seat (at least that was my intended spot) as I already have a Britax Frontier and a Clek Oobr in the backseat.  When I set it down I had a sinking feeling that it wouldn't fit (I have a pretty narrow backseat).  It didn't.  The base fit, but the shoulder area didn't.  It was just too wide and the door wouldn't close.  I was so disappointed, but not totally discouraged.  Instead I un-installed the Frontier so I could play with the two boosters.

Monkey is 5.5 yrs old, 40 lbs (clothed), and 45" tall.  The belt fit on Monkey is the same in both boosters.  The lap portion of the belt touches the tops of his thighs.  The shoulder portion is in the middle between his neck and the edge of his shoulder.  The belt guides on the ProBooster are more "user friendly" meaning it is easier to get the seat belt into the guide.  Monkey could not buckle or unbuckle either seat himself (we need to work on that).  Monkey's legs bend just at the edge on the ProBooster and about 0.5" over the edge of the Oobr.

Overall, I like both seats.  I like them for different reasons, but I like them.  Monkey likes them too.  Right now he says he prefers the ProBooster, but he has yet to ride anywhere in it.

ProBooster Specs:
Weight of seat: 13 lbs
Seat life:  Six years from date of manufacture (DOM)
Weight minimum:  30 lbs
Weight maximum: 120 lbs
Height range for child: 37-61"
Widest point (shoulders): 19.5"
Base width: 16"
Seat depth: 13.5"
Height at highest setting (from seat to top of headrest)" 30"
Price:  About $120 depending on where you shop and what coupons you can find.

ProBooster Pros:
It is light.
Lots of SIP
Deeper seat than most boosters
Wider at shoulders than many boosters
Very cushioned
Breathable fabric on SIP
Has a recline bar to fit more vehicle seats
Does not need head support behind the head rest
Removable cover


ProBooster Cons (I may add more later as we use the seat):
No carry handle
Does not have LATCH or rigid LATCH
Does not become a backless booster for older kids (8+)


Oobr Specs:
Weight of seat: 25 lbs
Seat life:  Seven years from DOM
Weight minimum: 33 lbs
Wight maximum: 100 lbs
Height range for child:  38-57"
Widest point (shoulders): 18.25"
Base width: 15"
Seat depth: 12"
Height at highest setting: 29"
Price: $200-300 depending on cover and where you shop

Oobr Pros:
Magnesium reinforced frame
Carry handle
Rigid LATCH
Recline feature
Cup holder
Lots of wild colors and some patterns
Becomes a backless booster for older kids (8+)

Oobr Cons:
Heavy
Cover on back isn't removable (it is on seat)
Expensive


As a tech and a parent I DO not recommend putting a child under 5 or 6 into a high back booster.  Most state laws require a child to be at least 4 yrs AND 40 lbs to be in a booster seat.  It is my experience that most four year olds are not mature enough to ride in a booster.  Please read my post  "Is My Child Ready for a Booster."



Side by side at lowest position.  Oobr is on left and ProBooster on right.


Side by side at highest position


Profile (you can see the rigid LATCH on the Oobr)

1 comment:

  1. You completed various nice points there. I did a search on the topic and found the majority of persons will go along with with your blog.
    overwatch boosting

    ReplyDelete