Thursday, January 27, 2011

Young Chef's Academy: A Fun Activity For Winter.

Does your little one always want to help you in the Kitchen?  Does he eat more (or more variety) if he helps you to cook?  Then you might want to check out Young Chef's Academy in Gahanna.

Last week my moms' group had a cooking class at Young Chef's Academy.  Our group had a private, 1.5 hour time slot.  We dropped the kids off and went to lunch.  While we were gone the children made pizza.  Sounds simple, right?  No. Well, sort of. 

At Young Chef's Academy the children learn to cook mostly from scratch (I say mostly because they have been known to use a mix or two).  We chose a pizza class because we had younger children attending.  For this class they made pizza dough from scratch.  All the kids were fascinated by the bubbling, blooming yeast.  Then, they were each able to mix the dough.  After that it rose while they talked about cooking and colored paper chef's hats.  Then, it was time to roll out the pizza, top it, and bake it.  Afterward the children were able to enjoy their creation.  It was a hit!  None of the pizza was left!  Monkey even asked for more!

We have been to Young Chef's Academy twice.  Each time my son has absolutely enjoyed himself.  I only wish there was one closer to us because he would love to take a weekly class.

Young Chef's Academy has classes and camps for children ages 3+.  They also offer birthday parties and field trips for groups (school, Scouts, moms' groups, etc.).  This is not one of the cheaper things I post about, but it is fun.  The cost for the private class was $14 per child.  Weekly classes are $79 with a three month minimum and a $49 registration fee.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to follow you and meet you! I am in Cbus and happy to meet you.
    If you wish to do a posting on car seat safety on my site pop me a note...www.NWColumbus.MacaroniKid.com...all your links can be included too! bree @breebee dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Sunshine Praises and the Buckeye Blog Hop. I'm just south of Cols.
    Happy to follow you. Oh, and I homeschool also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Garilyn: Are you in Pickaway County? How old are your little ones? We are always happy to meet other homeschoolers!

    @Bree: Thanks! Maybe. I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete