Sunday, May 23, 2010

Boy, is it hot!!!

This morning four moms in our group ran a 5K. My husband and another mom's boyfriend also ran. It was the Stomp Out Stigma one at OSU to raise awareness about mental health issues.  Boy, was it hot!

We thought we would be fine with an 11a start time.  I mean we do live in Ohio and it is only mid-May so it shouldn't be too hot, right?  I mean it has been cool all week so why should it suddenly be warm on Sunday, right?  WRONG!!  It was hot!  It was about 78 when the race began and it is supposed to get up to 86.

This was a small race around Fred Beekman park in Upper Arlington.  Small races are good because you don't have to jockey around people for the first mile or so. 

At 11a the air horn was blown and we all began.  Quickly everyone spaced out so that was good.  I ran with my friend, Jenny, for about the first mile and then she pulled ahead.   We were happy for the breeze and wished for clouds.

So, about 50-70 of us are running.  The first time around the track it isn't too bad and the baseball parents only give us passing glances.  I finish the first mile at 8:40.  Not too bad if I can keep up the pace.

The second time around the track it starts to feel hotter and I see fewer and fewer people.  I am keeping an okay pace or so I think.  I am keeping the same distance between myself and Jenny.  She runs faster than I do so I think I am good.  I finished the second mile at 18:40 into the race.  Damn!  That means I slowed down two whole minutes during the second mile.  I need to try and pick it up for the third, but it is looking unlikely.

All right, I am now on the third mile.  Boy, is it hot!  All I can think about it how hot it is and how the breeze really isn't cool at all.  I start to slow down a bit and this shirtless, middle aged man with a paunch begins to pass me!!  AGH!!  I cannot let this happen!  So, I pick it up a bit.  Now, I am halfway into the third mile.  I am now approaching the baseball parents.  This time around I am getting the "you are nuts" looks from them.  In some ways I agree.  It is hot, there are no clouds, and just a barely a breeze.  Plus, who really runs in the late morning anyway?

Okay, so now I am counting down.  I have less than half a mile left.  It can't be more than 5 min, right?  I mean even if I am slow half a mile shouldn't take more than that.  I am hot!  I am sweaty and I am breathing heavy. 

Now, a quarter mile left.  I catch up to Jenny.  She says something about picking up the pace and counting to ten.  I didn't catch all of it because my iPod is blaring.  It is playing "Help I'm Alive" and it seems appropriate especially the line about "my heart keeps beating like a hammer."  Yeah, mine is beating.  Jenny picks it up and finishes ahead of me.  I couldn't muster up anymore energy. 

I finish at 29:00 even.  That isn't a good time at all.  It is hot so maybe that factors into it.  I need to get back on track and run faster.  I say this at the end of every race, but it never seems to happen.  I just never have the time to make it to the gym to run.  I need to work on it.  Maybe one day I will and maybe one day I will get to an 8 min mile consistently.

My husband and Jenny's boyfriend finished long before us.  Jenny's boyfriend won for our age group (well, for the males).  All is well.  Another mom finished a minute or two behind.  Our fourth mom finished a little after that.  We were all happy!  The race was over!  Time to go home and shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment